You are invited to become a Friend of the Library. The Friends organization aims to promote the resources, services and needs of the Library. The Friends of the Library is a nonprofit, volunteer organization that helps to provide programs and services at the Library. The Friends also purchases equipment and books.
What are Friends for?
Some activities and programs sponsored by the Friends are:
- Books Sandwiched In
- Special Guest Speakers
- Children’s Summer Reading Program
The major fundraising activity of the Friends of the Library is the popular semi-annual book sale, which occurs in the spring and the fall. All of the donated books and other items sold at the book sale are collected, sorted and sold by Friends members.
As a Friends volunteer you will receive:
- The Friends newsletters and all special mailings
- Early, members-only admission to the Spring and Fall book sales
- An opportunity to vote at the annual meeting in January
- Interesting volunteer opportunities
- Kudos for your support
Get involved as a Friends member and as volunteer!
You can support the Library by becoming an active member of the Friends of the Library. Stop by the Circulation desk to pick up a Friends Application Form. Or CLICK HERE to download the application form.
About book sale donations
Did you ever wonder where the tens of thousands of books, DVDs, audio books, CDs and more sold at the Friends’ book sales come from? They are donated by Library users and book lovers just like you. The Friends welcome your contribution of new and used books, CDs, audio-books, and paperbacks. Please read the guidelines before making your donation.
Once you’ve read the guidelines, bring your books to the Library lot, off Pearl Street in Corning. Look for the Book Donation slot.
How to donate books and other media
We appreciate your donation of new and used books, CDs, audio-books, paperbacks and DVDs. The following guidelines apply to materials donated through the Friends of the Library book slot located in our parking lot off Pearl Street in Corning.
Donations will be given to the Friends of the Library for the Friends’ book sales. Book sales benefit the Library and our community of users.
Donations which are not accepted for book sales are recycled. Hardcover books are not recyclable in our area. Books & materials that cannot be recycled are discarded. Please save us the cost of disposal; Pre-screen your donation.
Please do not donate:
- Hardcover books older than 5 years in Business, Economics or Law
- Reader’s Digest Condensed Books
- Computer software manuals older than 3-5 years
- Most magazines and professional journals
- Old fiction without collector interest, such as book club editions from the 1950s. (Literary classics are welcome donations.)
- Materials that are missing pages or parts, mildewed, wet, stained, musty, or in poor condition
- VHS tapes
Your adherence to these guidelines is appreciated, as are your book donations. Please call (607) 936-3713 ext 502 with your questions.