The Southeast Steuben County Library seeks potential trustees who possess a strong and genuine belief in public libraries and their mission in the community as centers of information, recreation, culture and lifelong education.
A candidate must be willing to devote appropriate time and effort to carrying out the duties and responsibilities of trusteeship. These duties will include regular attendance at Board meetings, committee service and activities, trustee training, ongoing advocacy on behalf of the Library and learning about the Library and the social, legal, and political context in which it exists.
The Library Board members participate in a wide variety of activities in support of the Southeast Steuben County Library. The responsibilities include:
• Policy development
• Strategic planning
• Financial development and funds development (budgetary responsibility)
• Public relations
Preferable skill sets to become a member:
• Strong general level of awareness of the community in which the Library serves.
• Familiarity with or willingness to learn about the opportunities and challenges faced by a public library and its funding and budget process.
• Appropriate communication skills and willingness and ability to represent the Library in the community.
• Readiness and ability to contribute and actively participate in Board initiatives.
• Ability to function in a collaborative environment with many key stakeholders and community partners.
• Commitment to ongoing personal growth and development as a Board member.
A potential board member must be a resident of the Library’s service area, and be 18 years of age of older.
Fill out the questionnaire by clicking here, attach your resume, and return to the Library by mail or email:
Southeast Steuben County Library
ATTN: Hazel Russell, Vice President
300 Nasser Civic Center Plaza Suite 101
Corning, NY 14830
Email: [email protected]
For any questions, please contact Hazel Russell at (607) 962-6795.